Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The poppy

I know this is a very touchy subject. Terrorists are evil. They are the scum of the earth. They do not deserve to breathe the same air as us. Waste of space. Oh there are so many clichés I could use. All of them are true. All of them are what we feel deep down. Dead Children are evidence enough that we need to act.

One blogger said: " We need to fight the war on Terror not in a courtroom but on the battlefield".

My question is: Where is this battlefield? Is it Iraq? Now we all know by now that Iraq is not the source of terrorism. If anything the war in Iraq fuels it. We fight there. Lives are being lost there. Oil prices shoot up and up and up and even more people are sent overseas to fight. Of course we need to sacrifice and pay our dues to attain peace. But when are we throwing good lives after bad?

I fear Peace is "like poppies spread. Seize the flower and its bloom is shed" ( paraphrasing Robert Burns).



I am not saying that you can have peace by just being an observer. But you may keep/attain peace by leaving things the f*ck alone!

I can think of many examples.. Let's look at N-Ireland. We don't need bleedin' Orange men marching through Catholic neighbourhoods to provoke and to pick a fight. But what would happen if the catholics just stay in their houses and waved? What would happen then?

I know I am being simplistic. Or naive. But for some reason my feeling is that we make things too complicated.

Blood has been shed but an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth does not work.

We would all look like this..





The Beslan School Massacre was perpetrated by Chechnyans and hired mercenaries. The hired mercenaries are worse than scum but what about the Chechnyans? Their country has been a battlefield for many years now. Russia has commited some atrocities of its own (they estimate that russian soldiers raped over 2.000.000 East German women after the war), and it has spawned some evil people among the Chechnyans. Some of them women, young, pretty even,who do not blink an eye at blowing up a whole school and murdering innocent children.

If I was one of the parents who lost a child I would like the head of the persons responsible. On a stake. No doubt about it. I guess I wouldn't give a toss about peace either, initially. But it would come. When hatred disappates slightly.

I think no nation has the right to be sanctimonious. Every nation has commited atrocities under its flag. In the past. In the present. In the future. We will create vengeful, angry, warped, evil people in doing so.

Ah well. Poppies will grow again in May. I do so have the urge to pick them.



No comments: