Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Of Curries and Intellectuals



This weekend I decided to stick to one cuisine. I have made curries Saturday and Sunday and have spent a total of 4-5 hours in the kitchen. I cooked a Tikka Masala type dish complete with saffron pulao rice and chapatis and on Sunday a Chicken Jalfrezi and a potato and pea curry on the side. I did not have any saffron left over, so I made a pulao blanche (made that name up just now).
It was quite good but I am as always, ever so slightly, disappointed. Sometimes I don't know why I keep persevering because it is never as good as I thought it was going to be. Or that it deserves to be considering the time I put into it.


Is it because I am too much of a perrrfectionist/Martha Stewart type person? (Please!) Or is it because I just can't cook as well as I would like to think..


Just exactly the same as that I am never as good looking on photos as I am in my head. I am bloody gorgeous in my head, I am.

And for that matter...what is reality???? A photo??? Pffff.. I have two words for you.. Big Foot. Or is that one word?

Well you know.. You may think that is a big foot but really it is more likely that it is a big man in a hairy suit. So in photographs I may look like a slightly overweight thirtysomething woman but it in actual fact it is more likely I am a thirtysomething slightly overweight stunna.
And a great cook to boot. Or is
Jean Baudrillard turning in his grave when I say such things?

Okay.. I sound really pretentious now. Maybe I am also not as intelligent as I'd like to think. hmmmm..
*takes finger to quasi-intellectual chin*


On a lighter note. Jamie Oliver is starting up a "Fifteen" restaurant right here in Amsterdam! I would be very interested in eating there to see if his dishes are better than when I cook them...
In my mind I would think Jamie better watch out..and thtep to the plate.


In reality? Well.....

-Listing to Faithless, No Roots-

No comments: