Friday, October 01, 2004

The Tatanka effect...

I called one of my best friends today. She recently got married and is now so poor she has been reduced to baking her own cakes to get her sweet tooth filled. Well, not quite but that is how she brings it. She is also too poor now to have range on her mobile phone in her own house. She has to hang out of the window to get some network cover and calls are dropped, on average, 3 times every 15 minutes. Despite all these hurdles and tests of our patience, we always laugh. Laugh at the most simple and spookily similar things. I can't really say what exactly... We just spark.

I'll give you an example (although that won't make it any clearer)

Tatanka is a word that induces endless mirth in the both of us. It is the Lokota word for Buffalo. It was used in the movie Dances with Wolves. It made me laugh when I saw it and it had the exact same effect on her. Independently. Now if you ask me what I find funny about it, I couldn't tell you. I just think it is funny.

I know this propensity to laugh at things that normally people don't find funny is extremely annoying to others. It makes them feel excluded. Not part of our little clique. I totally understand because I find it very annoying too when I am not part of a joke and no one explains to you why they are laughing.

Our problem is that we can tell the joke but that gives absolutely no guarantee that the person wanting to know will think it is funny. Chances are that they won't.

Tatanka... No? Not funny? Say it oud loud... Ta-Tan-ka..

See?


No comments: