Sunday, March 13, 2005

Nuuu Yaaawk

A great town. I am just back from it this week. I had a weekend on my own there. I would say there is nothing sadder than seeing a party town on your own and have no-one to share it with. To make up for this loss, I pretended that I lived there. A ploy that fooled a few clueless tourists who tried to get directions from me. "Where is Canal Street?" a group of girls asked me who were clearly there to have a good time. Well, were were in midtown and I knew that Canalstreet is located in Chinatown/Little Italy, a long way away. I directed them to the nearest sub-way to get the train to downtown. I felt good. I pretended that I was a Nuuu Yaawker and I fooled them all.. whoahahahaha.. I walked on, with a mission, -obviously- on my way to somewhere very new yorkish and important, secretly looking sky-wards from behind my shades. When I took pictures, I did this secretly and very inconspiciously. If I couldn't I hid behind some tourist to throw 'em off.. Now, I am totally aware that I seem a little whoooo crazy.. I mean, who CARES?? Well the little voice in my head cares... the one that tells me that I am really uncool and pathetic if I am -just- a tourist.



Nonetheless, I have to be honest to say that I am really at home in new york... I like it. I love the decay, the gaudiness of timesquare, the wonderful beaux arts architecture, the Norma Desmond-ness of it all. Past glory. When I am there I feel sadness and gladness at the same time. You just haven't lived unless you have seen the skyline at night. It is just breathtaking and so exciting.


The reason why I haven't been blogging is because I have started something new. My own jewellery line. I make jewellery and I spend all my time making, designing, researching and luckily selling. It makes me happy but it leaves me with little time to do anything other than that. I will keep writing but I won't be as prolific..

It will be a little like past glory.. How very Norma Desmond..

1 comment:

Graeme said...

good luck with the jewellery!! great that you're doing something you enjoy